Knox Gordon thought that it might be interesting to see who actually controls the different Tenancy Deposit Schemes in England and Wales who have been mandated by the Government to look after Landlords and Tenants Interests.
It made interesting reading and we will leave it to you to decide whether you think any of these owners may have a conflict of interest and what their motivations are for being involved in this sector may be.
Information gathered in April 2015 from sources such as:
- Companies House ( https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/companies-house)
- Endole Uk Company Insights (http://www.endole.co.uk/)
The Dispute Service Limited / TDS (previous name: Tenancy Deposit Scheme Limited – year of change: 2005)
- No shareholders information reported (Companies House)
- Nicholas Hankey is the Company Secretary and the Company Director (http://www.endole.co.uk/company/05287699/tenancy-deposit-scheme-limited?page=people)
- The TDS website, authorised by: Department for Communities and Local Government
- The TDS website, in partnership with: RICS, ARLA – Association of Residential Letting Agents, NAEA (The National Association of Estate Agents), RL (Residential Landlords Association)
- News : 7 September 2011 – (/ https://www.thedisputeservice.co.uk/latest-news.html): The Tenancy Deposit Scheme has appointed a new Director of Resources. Nick Hankey has joined the organisation this month and will be in charge of both Finance and IT. A Chartered Accountant, Nick Hankey comes from Vinci Park UK, a group of nine subsidiaries of the French construction Vinci SA, where he was Finance Director. Before that he was at European Motor Holdings plc as Financial Controller of the Motor Retail Division. Announcing the appointment, TDS Chief Executive Steve Harriott said, “Our organisation is growing in size and strength and in the services it offers. Nick Hankey brings us a proven wealth of commercial experience that will enable us to strengthen our operations and services in the future.” Said Nick Hankey, “Working with a major not-for-profit organisation will be a new experience with many exciting opportunities and challenges. I am looking forward to working with the team at TDS.” 7th September 2011
Deposit Protection Service / DPS (a trading name of Computershare Investor Services Plc)
- Company Secretary 1: Llewellyn Kevan Botha, Company Secretary 2: Jonathan Dolbear, Company Director 1: Richard Arberry, Company Director 2: Llewellyn Kevan Botha, Company Director 3: Martyn William Drake, Company Director 4: Christopher Andrew Mills, Company Director 5: Nicholas Stuart Robert Oldfield, Company Director 6: Nazir Sarkar, Company Director 7: Matthew James Trevett
- Number of shares: 4050000
- Shareholding 1: 4049999 Computershare Limited
- Shareholding 2: Computershare Registry Services Limited
- 3 (Dolbear, Sarkar, Botha) of the above own Ees Capital Trustees Limited – Endole (previously known as Open Company). Endole is a free online open data website providing corporate information for every company in UK & Ireland. (Dolbear, Sarkar, Botha)
- The DPS website, authorised by Department for Communities and Local Government
- News release: … Ees Capital Trustees Limited – The financial services firm is the second largest private sector employer in the Bristol City Council local authority area, with over 1,300 people working at The Pavilions…
- Computershare: Founded in 1978 and listed on the Australian Securities Exchange since 1994, Computershare, a market leader in financial solutions provides services in over 20 countries to more than 30,000 clients through over 10,000 Professionals across the globe.
mydeposits (a trading name of Tenancy Deposit Solutions)
- Company Secretary 1: David Anthony Jacobs, Accountant, Radlett, Hertfordshire
- Company Director 1: Edward William Hooker, Insurance Broker, Cockfosters, Hertfordshire. (Edward Hooker, current appointments: Cmprotect Ltd, Dame C (London)Ltd, Hamilton Fraser Insurance Solutions Ltd, HFIS Plc, My Deposits Ltd, No Letting Go Inventory Management Ltd, Tenancy Deposit Solutions Ltd, Tenancy Deposits (NI) Ltd, Tenancy Deposits (Scotland) Ltd
- Company Director 2: David Anthony Jacobs, Radlett, Accountant, Hertfordshire
- Number of shares: 100
- Shareholding 1: 50 shares held by HFIS Plc / Hamilton Fraser Insurance (Company Secretary 1: David Anthony Jacobs, Company Director 1: Edward William Hooker, Company Director 2: David Anthony Jacobs)
- Shareholding 2: 50 shares held by National Landlords Association Limited
- mydeposits website, authorised by: Department for Communities and Local Government.
- mydeposits website, brought to you by: NLA (National Landlords Association) and Hamilton Fraser Insurance
- From Hamilton Fraser Website: ‘…My deposits – In November 2006, the UK Government appointed mydeposits to operate an insurance-based tenancy deposit protection scheme. mydeposits is jointly owned by the National Landlords Association and Hamilton Fraser Insurance…’